Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Taking Care of Business (2012)

Today was my first day of work. For the rest of the summer (this week excepted) I will work 4 days - Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

In a way, I'm glad, because it means I'll have 3 days off in the middle of the week to do "stuff." At the head of the "stuff" list is resting my poor aching feet. Concrete floors are not much fun for employees...

In another, much BIGGER way, I'm incredibly sad, because it means I'll only be able to have brunch with my niece if we do more of a breakfast thing (at 7:30 or 8) on the weekends. Except for Sundays, when I don't have to be at work until noon. For anyone out there who knows me, you will know just how much I adore my niece, and how awful it will be for me not to see her every Saturday.

I'm trying not to cry, thinking about it.

I like my coworkers, so far. There's DeeDee (as I'll call her) who was sort of the "head honcho" on my floor, today (the store is 4 stories, plus a basement for unknown purposes). She was incredibly helpful and upbeat, and answered some questions I had. Then, there's a fellow I'll call Yao, because he's big and Asian (no stereotyping here) and who was funny, but doesn't seem like a traditional furniture salesman. He's a go-getter, though.

Tomorrow, I will meet another coworker who has been compared to Lisbeth Salander in her ability to get s*!t done. If it needs to happen, she makes it happen. They refer to her as The Closer.

I'm kind of scared of her. A little bit.

At any rate, I'm working three days, this week, and then taking a quick vacation before returning to finish out the summer working 30 hours per week, then cutting back the number of hours during the school year. I'd originally been under the impression that I would only be able to work 20 hours per week, this summer.

Let the banking begin.

And something else: we get employee discounts from day one. BIG ONES. The biggest discounts are on the clothes sold in the boutique area of the store.

At least I'll look cute for work, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment