Sunday, April 25, 2010

Midget Feet Strike Again!


I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to find decently attractive and affordable work boots.

Work boots are my newest obsession, just in case you were wondering. They have been ever since I spent 5 hours on a construction site in boots with a 3" stacked heel and a relatively uncushioned insole. My body ached for days, afterward, and I vowed to get new boots immediately. Granted, that was a few weeks ago, but "immediately" became "when I get around to it" once I went through my closet and discovered that my spring/summer wardrobe was woefully inadequate.

Priorities, people.

I for work boots looked at Academy Sports and Outdoors, but they had one style of women's work boots that weren't hideous, and I couldn't jam my tiny feet with their impossibly high insteps into them. I perused the interwebs for a few minutes today, looking at the usual suspects - Cavender's, Shepler's, and the like - and I've reached the conclusion that if you want work boots and you're female, you're S.O.L.

My options are either lace-up boots (which are a pain to put on and take off, and are black), or pink leather cowboy-style boots. PINK for crying out loud! What self-respecting woman in a male-dominated field wants to wear pink work boots? Really? And no, I will also not wear work boots with red patent leather flames on the toes, which are apparently my other option, in the decently affordable category.

So I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a pair of Red Wings, it looks like. There isn't a store in Dallas that sells Ariats in my size (that aren't pink). Next weekend, I'll journey over to the Red Wing dealer nearest my house to see if they can hunt me down a pair of men's size 5.5B 11" boots, preferably not in the glossy leather, but in matte-finish.

And I'll pay dearly for them.

Because ladies with delicate little midget feet aren't supposed to be on construction sites in anything other than pink boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment