Sunday, April 11, 2010

I Promise!


Just bear with me a little while longer and the obsessive sofa posts will cease. Honest. I swear.

My sofa is currently at the upholsterer's shop. Upholsterer #2 initially quoted me a price $30 lower than Upholsterer #1's bid, but then began asking me questions about why, exactly, I insisted on a down/feather blend wrap for the cushions, since even the best seat cushions will require weekly fluffing/turning if they're used daily? He talked me into using a different material that I was able to experience at his shop, and yes, it feels exactly like down-wrapped cushions (but costs half as much and requires no fluffing). Let's just hope I made the right decision.

I initially assumed it would be anywhere from 4-8 weeks before I would see my sofa in final finished form, because that's typical turn-around time for custom upholstery work. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

It will only be 2-3 weeks. Yes, the world's most solicitous upholsterer (who does work for one of Dallas' most well-known interior designers) will have my sofa returned to me in 2-3 weeks TOPS, because it's a small job, and they're in between a couple of big jobs right now. Brilliant!

Of course, that means I'll have to get my apartment rearranged pronto in preparation for the sofa's imminent arrival. I thought I'd have considerably longer to prepare for it, but it seems that I was wrong. It's not that I'm never wrong, it just happens so rarely that it catches me off guard.

No, really.

This past week, I was trying to figure out what on earth I was going to do for a throw pillow for the sofa. It just needs one stunner in the middle, and herein lay the problem: it has to be a stunner. A quick trip to my usual throw-pillow go-tos proved fruitless: Pier 1's pillows looked too chintzy, and the pillows at Z Galerie didn't have any blue in them, although they did have the lovely shrimpy color of my sofa.

Then, I remembered it: a needlepoint I completed about 5-6 years ago. I dug it out of its basket at my apartment, and sure enough, it's the perfect size and shape, and has the same exact color in it with which my sofa will be upholstered. Karma, baby. Karma. Or something.

So the needlepoint will be turned into a throw pillow, and for less money than I thought it would cost (sweet!) and my little living room will be happy.

1 comment: