Thursday, April 2, 2009

No HH For Me Tomorrow


I am not looking forward to tomorrow.  I will miss happy hour.  Why?  What could possibly drag me away from the beloved happy hour?

Surgery.  Yup.  Going under the knife.

I tore a muscle several years ago, and when it healed, it healed improperly.  In other words, a layer of scar tissue built up between the ragged edges of the tear, preventing it from mending properly.  Since then, the muscle has torn again.  Multiple times.

I went to see a doctor about it, and she informed me that we could try injecting Botox into the muscle to keep it from spasming.  When the muscle spasms, it increases its likelihood of tearing again and also causes some pretty intense pain.  The Botox is only a temporary fix that lasts about 4-6 months, and then the procedure has to be repeated.  And it's only 45% effective.

Why, may I ask, would anyone want to try a procedure that is only 45% effective?  And have it done every 4-6 months for the rest of my life?  (Note: you still have to be on anesthesia to have the Botox procedure performed)  She then told me that I could have surgery that is 90% effective at curing patients, but it costs more than a single Botox procedure.

I opted for surgery.  So I guess for my next unemployment payment request, I'll have to put down that there was, in fact, one day on which I wasn't able to work because of illness/doctor's visit/whatever it is that they give you for an option.  It will probably take a bite out of my unemployment benefits, but that's life, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment