Monday, April 13, 2009

I've been better but...


I've also been a hell of a lot worse.  I had surgery over a week ago, and I'm having some complications.  It stinks.  I should be pretty much recovered, by now, able to sit up like normal people, drive myself places, get through a day without popping prescription painkillers, but none of that is happening.  So.  There goes my plan to start aggressively looking for work a week or two after my surgery.   Woe is me, and all that.

I spent the weekend in Houston with my sister, her husband, and their two adorable dogs.  One is a little more than a year old, the other is 13 weeks old.  It was all I could do not to wrap up his wiggly little body in dirty clothes and stuff him in my suitcase to take him home.  I bet he would have stayed quiet in there, right?

I typically do Happy Hour review on Monday, but I didn't do Happy Hour, because I was winging my way to Houston.  Instead, I will say this much about my gastronomic experience in Houston: if you ever get the chance to eat at my sister's house, jump on it.  The woman is probably one of the best home cooks I've ever encountered.

We had steak, green beans and asparagus, and roasted fingerling potatoes Saturday night for dinner.  It was such a pleasant dinner, with the gentle music of whining puppies creating the perfect ambiance for our en plein aire dinner.  We were sitting there, eating, and my sister was dissecting her food preparation decisions, almost as a soliloquy, saying "I should have added lemon zest to the beans and asparagus."  That's the type of person she is: always strives to make things better.

Sunday brunch, though, was the real kicker.  Cheese grits, asparagus (again, but we all love it), ham, and big-as-yo-face-biscuits served with fig preserves or honey (the type with the honeycomb still in the jar.  The best kind.) and plenty of butter.  I didn't eat everything on my plate, but that's only because I have a small stomach capacity.

Almost every meal my sister has cooked for me has been something wonderful.  So, like I said, if you ever get the chance to eat at her house... make sure you take me along as your date :)

No comments:

Post a Comment