Monday, July 6, 2009

No Happy Hour Post From Friday (Sorry)

But as atonement for my inability to make a schedule and keep to it - especially when there's a pool party involved (!) - I will review a Kozy little restaurant in Uptown and spill the beans on laptop bags, as per an avid readers' request.

First, the laptop bags:

1) http://www.markaonline.com/default.asp this is where I got my bag. Right now, they have several on sale, but their selection is limited, and the prices are usually 3 times what I paid. However, all of their bags are leather, and they DON'T LOOK LIKE LAPTOP BAGS. That being said, they don't have the best padding for your laptop, but I already have a padded sleeve ($20 at Fry's) so it all works out.
2) http://www.violetmaylondon.com/store/Laptop-bags-KYDD/Gold-Python-NEW.aspx the place to go for bazillion dollar gilded python bags. Seriously. (And they're only US$1500!)

3) http://www.ebags.com/ Their price range is incredible, and they have bags for literally every budget ($25-$699). You can simply pick which computer make and model you have, and it will find the bags that will fit your computer. Brilliant!

4) http://www.theresakathryn.com/c-11-laptop-bags.aspx I only wish I could buy one of these bags (they cost between $350-$500). They're beautiful, but they don't gild the lily - or the python - any more than necessary. I've always thought that saying was stupid. Everything should be covered in gilt!
Happy hunting!

Next up, my trip to Kozy, a pretentiously hip little cafe on McKinney Avenue in Dallas.

Save your hard-earned moolah.

I'd read great things about the place, so when my mom and I went searching for something to eat Saturday afternoon while out running errands, we decided to try it. My mom loved her shrimp salad - big grilled shrimp on a bed of greens with a divine honey balsamic vinaigrette.

I ordered the buffalo tacos, with visions of the deliciousness that is Cowboy Chow dancing in my starved little head. Alas, it was not to be! The buffalo meat was ground to a mealy mess and seasoned within an inch of its life. Actually, the buffalo was dead, so I will assume it was seasoned to death.

Buffalo murder! What a terrible way to go, drowned in cheap pre-packaged-tasting taco seasoning!

And that was all that I got, too. Yeah, there was a bleu cheese guacamole on top, but no veggies, no lettuce, no side of beans, nothing. I was incredibly disappointed.

Also, as you may have noticed, I am a trifle OCD about design. The restaurant's interiors were awful. The kitchen was partially exposed, and it had vinyl wall panels for about the first 8 feet of wall. That's fine. Actually, I think that's building code. Anyways, that didn't bother me.

What DID bother me was that whoever painted failed to use painter's tape, and the top 3 inches of the panels were a fantastic mess of blue-grey paint smears. There were places where the painters blatantly missed 2-inch wide bits of wall, and if the effect was intended to be edgy, they missed their target. It just looked sloppy. Almost enough to make a girl lose her appetite.

Alas, they succeeded in squelching my hunger with their mess-tastic tacos.

(All images courtesy of the companies' websites on which they were found. Hope they don't mind too much! Heck, they should pay me! It's free advertising, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment