Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Two-Fer Tuesday! (wee bit late... again...)


So being unemployed isn't ALL bad.  Sure, I've had to move back in with my parents, 1/3 of my unemployment checks go towards ridiculously expensive health insurance (thank God I have it, though!), and I no longer have disposable income, so I'm constantly having the following dialogue with myself (sometimes aloud for fellow shoppers' amusement):

Do I really need that shirt?   No.
Do I really need that album? No.
Do I really need new underwear? Yes, but I need new eyeglasses first.
Do I really need that beer? Yes.  Always.  (unless it's a wheat beer)

But there are some awesome things.  Today was a beautiful day, and one of my (also unemployed architect) friends and I decided to go to Fort Worth to the Modern Art Museum and to the Kimbell Art Museum.

And it was awesome.

We had a ton of fun, and all it cost was one water and onesoda enroute, lunch, admission to one museum (student price), the cost of gas, and a soda for each on the way back.  I get thirsty, ok?  It was probably one of the most relaxing days I've had in a very long time.  My mom probably wishes I'd shut up about it, already!

I know lots of random facts about various artists and architects, so I had a good chance to prattle endlessly about witty anecdotes in my repertoire, and he got to see the Kimbell, by the late Louis Kahn, which he'd never visited or studied in depth.  And he also had some awesome remarks to make about the abstract expressionist paintings ("I think the subject of that one is the NBC peacock getting plowed by a truck."  Morris Louis, please stop spinning in your grave and forgive him!)

And it was a beautiful day.  One of the prettiest we've had in a really long time here in Dallas.  So instead of sitting in my cubicle lamenting the lack of laptops and wifi in downtown Dallas, I got to sit on a bench, listen to the sound of fountains and children laughing, and breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment