Monday, February 23, 2009

The Liar's Den

This past Friday, the HH crew met at The Liar's Den on McKinneyAve.  It's fairly new on the bar scene.

Pros: good food (beer-battered fish'n'chips are quite scrumptious, tho not nearly the best in Big D); they show Friday Night Fights (heck yeah!); they're a "trendy" bar in Uptown that serves Guinness (albeit in bottles, and the waitresses don't know that Guinness Draft and Guinness Extra Stout are two entirely different animals).

Cons: Around 11:00 on weekends, they confiscate your chair if you're not sitting in it; the jukebox stutters occaisionally; the waitresses aren't the most attentive.

I'd been once before with the Friday Happy Hour Bunch (refused to go before because I think the name is a ridiculous attempt at sounding like a pub while still being "wicked" and hip), but I had yet to explore the upstairs area.  Yes, they have a separate dance club upstairs (which negates any claim to pub-dom that it might otherwise have).  I'm not a huge fan of dance clubs, as a rule.  In fact, I think the majority of the HH bunch doesn't go out to dance.  Last I remember, the only people that left our group expressly to go dance were some interlopers that have yet to reappear.  But maybe that's just my perception of things.

After about five minutes spent crammed against the bar, waiting to get a drink (thanks P.K., I owe you one this next week) two of my comrades and I fled for the hills.  There's a nice little wooden fire escape that runs along the outside of the building, but you can't really stand on it, because it's blocking the escape route in case of a fire, which is ironic, because I'm sure the dance club section was over capacity.  We went onto the roof deck to brave the cold.  I'm sure the roof deck will be infinitely more fun when it isn't 40 degrees outside.

Until our experience upstairs, the shivering trio had been happy to sit and drink at the bar.  The club just about did us in, though.  Consensus when we abandoned ship altogether 30 minutes later was that we were not fans of the Liar's Den.

Overall ranking: eh.  Despite the protestations of my HH friends, I infinitely prefer the Gingerman and Capitol Pub - even City Tavern - to the Liar's Den.

1 comment:

  1. "There's a nice little wooden fire escape that runs along the outside of the building, but you can't really stand on it, because it's blocking the escape route in case of a fire, which is ironic," but in the event of an actual fire you would be 2 even 3 steps above the wasted half naked skan....ladies there

    ReplyDelete