Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Well, THAT Didn't Go As Planned


I made the phone call to the small architecture firm today, and...

THE PRINCIPAL WAS OUT OF THE OFFICE.

So there went all of my nervousness and anxiety.  I left a message on his voicemail, and if I haven't heard back by Thursday, I'll call him again.  I pretty much have my spiel downpat, now, so no need for me to have a script in front of me, anymore.

On other fronts, I've once again begun job-hunting in earnest, no thanks to Craigslist.  Yesterday, there was an advert posted for a position at an architecture firm.  Between the time I saw it, and the time I formulated a "cover email" and attached my resume to aforementioned email, the advertisements from both Sunday AND Monday had mysteriously disappeared, and I was left in the lurch.  My email bounced back to me, and I have yet to find the ad again, or any ads posted since Saturday, for that matter.  Frustrating.

Additionally, I've sent resumes to two different companies, but for three different positions, two in the DFW area and one in Houston.  At this point, I'm pretty much willing to do whatever it takes (within reason) to get a job in architecture, even if that means packing my things and heading farther south, into the humid environs of Houston.  Alas, one of the jobs - over in Fort Worth - already sent me back a "Sorry, you're not what we're looking for, right now" reply.  Jerks don't know what they're missing.

It's frustrating that it's so difficult to get past some of these companies.  They won't accept resumes unless they are submitted via email, and if you call them to ask for an interview, they refer you to their email application system.  There's only so much a piece of paper can tell you about an applicant.  It sure as heck won't tell you how stunning she looks in a suit and 4" heels...  Maybe I should just attach a copy of my profile photo, eh?

(Creative Commons Licensed Image courtesy of natalia & gabriel's CC flickrstream found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/natalialove/2955545195/)

1 comment:

  1. Don't give up because you didn't get to talk to the guy! Keep at it, that's the key!

    Also, don't be so adverse to Houston, it's not as bad as people think...

    ReplyDelete