Friday, May 15, 2009

Get Ready, Get Set - IMPRESS


I feel like all I've done for the past two months is spend (and borrow) money.  It's nerve wracking since, as my Dad occasionally observes, I'm "tight with a buck" most of the time (clothes and computers not withstanding).

I bought a suit, tried it on with the sensible black shoes I own and was immediately depressed at the sight of myself, as I believe I mentioned yesterday.  The effect of me as frumpy librarian was probably partly due to the fact that I was wearing my funny architect glasses, but then I tried them on again today with my shoes, and I felt even frumpier, because the funny architect glasses give my appearance a bit of an outre edge.

I decided that the best thing to do in the situation would be to buy some sensible close-toed sky-high heels, and I accomplished that mission today.  Combined with a pair of nylons and a sensible yet stylish (and cheap) purse, I'm now ready for my interview, which will take place Tuesday morning.

Why did I feel the need to spend so much for this interview?  Because if I don't feel confident in what I'm wearing, my whole body language reflects that, as does my manner of speaking.  If I feel frumpy, I'll act all shy and want to crawl into a hole, and that's not going to impress an interviewer.  I need to project more of an attitude that lets people know, as my dad says, "I'm here to kick tail and take names."  My dad has a vivid way of expressing himself.

When I spoke to the fellow who owns the architecture firm, we'll call him Mr. Principal, he asked me if I knew a particular type of software.  Short answer: no.  This is the answer he received.  Long answer: no, but I will be downloading a trial version and working my tail off over the weekend to see if I can get the hang of it by Tuesday.  It's a Building Information Modeling software, which is something I need to learn anyways.

So I'm currently downloading ArchiCAD so I can shut myself in my room with my computer, listening to the new as-yet-unreleased Wilco album (streaming on the internet).  I will learn this software.  I will get this job.  I will be employed again, if only on a contract basis.  I want this job so much I can taste it.

It tastes kind of like copy-toner and Chart-Pak markers.  Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I gave the short answer. The long answer is the one I'm acting on, just FYI... reread the post and the wording struck me as being somewhat inept. My humblest apologies.

    ReplyDelete