Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ego Boost


I interviewed Tuesday with the boutique architecture firm.  I feel really good about the firm, and also about the interview.  If asked, I would probably say I have a 70% chance of getting the job, and that's just because I'm trying to reign in my rampaging optimism.

The day started off well: I didn't encounter jammed traffic.  In fact, the cars on the Dallas North Tollway zipped along at alarming rates of speed.  Ergo, I arrived at my destination 45 minutes early.  I drove around the design district for 20 minutes to kill time (and the Earth - sorry Gaia* ), then parked in the free parking lot outside the office building.  After reading the short news synopses in The Economist, I realized I - um - needed to use the facilities.

There were no public facilities.

Buzzkill.  Impending sense of doom.  I asked a young woman waiting for the elevator if she knew whether there was a public restroom in the lobby.

"No," she replied. "I think there are access codes for all the bathrooms."

"Oh." Duh-duh-dunn!  "I have an interview in 15 minutes-"

Young Woman's face brightened.  "I'll open the door to the ladies' room on my floor; you can use it, then go on to your interview!"  

NICEST GIRL EVER.  We chit-chatted about the field I'm in, the field she's in, and then she dropped me off outside the ladies' room.  Hooray for friendly people!

I was ushered into the small conference room and a few seconds later, in came my prospective boss, along with the fellow who suggested I apply at his firm.

"Well," said Prospective Boss, "You'd definitely be the most attractive person in the office if we hired you."  I thought the Suggester was going to melt, he was so embarrassed.  I laughed, thanked Prospective Boss - who appears to be 101 years old - and the interview commenced.

It was short.  30 minutes, tops.  I left a copy of my portfolio for them to peruse, and a copy of my resume ("ooooh, nice paper" - P.B.).

Again, trying not to get too excited too early.  In fact, in preparation for disaster, I'm still working on the business idea my Dad developed and passed off to me.  If I get the job, I'll open this business, anyways.  It will be a great way to save up money.  You know, just in case there's another recession...

* Gaia was the Greek goddess of the earth and mother of the Titans, but you probably knew that...

(Creative Commons Licensed Image courtesy of Flickr User Ventolin.  Image may be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ventolin/3474898919/).

No comments:

Post a Comment