Monday, June 8, 2009

Santa Fe and Eating

I'm still in Santa Fe, though not for much longer: today, I head up to Taos. I'm wanting to go for a drive, and so drive I shall. There's a museum or two I want to see, and then I'll take a driving tour - the shortest one on the list of recommended driving tours - that will bring me back to Santa Fe.

Yesterday, I went to every museum within walking distance of the Governor's Plaza. At least, it seems that way. I went to the Institute for American Indian Art (IAIA), where they had a wonderful exhibit, as well as artwork in the museum shop that you can purchase. I found three paintings, all by the same artist, that I love. I do not, however, have the $1,200 it would require to buy all three. My goal is to save up some money and then hunt him down on the Internet, eventually. EVENTUALLY. Although no longer unemployed, I will be taking a drastic pay cut from what I made at my old job, so...

I also went to the Georgia O'Keefe Museum. I went once before about ten years ago with my parents and sister. At the time, I remember thinking how little I liked her paintings. Of course, my taste has matured since then, so I went back.

I still don't like her paintings.

I tried, and I can't force myself to like them. I apparently fail as an art-lover. The restaurant at the Georgia O'Keefe is excellent, however. They serve blue-corn pancakes with a side of venison sausage and fresh fruit dusted with cinnamon. Wonderful wonderful wonderful food.

I went to the New Mexico Museum of Art, too, which had the requisite O'Keefes, but also an amazing display of sculptural fine art baskets from the collection of some old rich folks who live in NM. The term basket is somewhat loosely defined, as some of the articles on display couldn't hold so much as a peanut. There was also a creepy security guard at the Museum of Art, who I would recommend avoiding.

Yesterday, I found myself feeling peckish after wandering through all the museums. At La Fonda, a big expensive hotel right off Santa Fe's main plaza, there is a small pastry shop that specializes in crepes. So, I guess technically, it's a creperie with a selection of pastries. Semantics.

Anyways, I ducked in, wanting something sweet and light. If you go, order the apricot crepe. Stewed apricots, wrapped in a light and delightfully chewy crepe with a side of real whipped cream. None of this Redi-Whip or Cool Whip nonsense for them. Oh no, it's real unsweetened whipped cream. It is perfectly acceptable to eat what might be left of it with a spoon after you've finished your crepe, by the way.

I ate dinner last night at Gabriel's, which is actually in Santa Cruz, about 20-30 minutes north of Santa Fe. If you ever get the chance to go to Gabriel's, be forewarned: they ask if you want guacamole. If you want guacamole, be prepared to shell out $12 for it. It's good, though, and is made to order at your table. I ordered it, and managed to consume about half of it (in other words, a whole avocado with tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice) in addition to the stewed pork I had for a main dish. It was all delicious, but if you're there by yourself and you sit at a table in the bar, you won't get very good service. Just a warning.


No comments:

Post a Comment