Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Feel Like a Big Kid!

I registered last night for the 2009 TSA Convention in Houston.

Now, before you get all excited about picketing outside over how you were hassled at the airport, I'm not talking about the Transportation Security Administration. No, I'm talking about the Texas Society of Architects.

Late in October, I'll be hobnobbing with the best and boredest of the architectural community in Texas. As always, they will give out awards to firms that nominated themselves for the awards, and they'll have lots of discussions about sustainable buildings and how to weather the economic storm, etc. etc. ad adendum ad infinitum.

Every article in every architectural magazine somehow talks about "weathering the economic storm." Because thunderstorms are caused by irresponsibility. Or when a front of warm moist air collides with cool air. Whichever.

The only reason I'm able to go to the convention at all is because I have a sister. In Houston. Who is amazingly generous and welcoming and is letting me stay at her house. Otherwise, I'd have to seek shelter in a hotel, and there's no way I could afford to do that.

This will also be the first time that I will drive myself to Houston. I've driven to Houston with my mom and dad, of course, but I've never actually done the driving. I've offered, but never been taken up on the offer.

Three people in a 2-door Honda Civic isn't nearly as much fun as it sounds.

I've signed up for several seminars, and am going to a brunch on Sunday morning, because I decided to prolong the pain just a little bit longer. I'm skipping two of Saturday's free events, though, because I want to be able to hang out with my sister a little bit. I'll claim I couldn't absorb any more information and had to retreat to my boarding place to wring the knowledge out into a Tupperware container.

I bet they'll believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment