Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Supreme Courtship" by Christopher Buckley

I finished Supreme Courtship a couple of weeks ago, actually. I was wandering around Borders prior to Christmas - not coincidentally, I was there on official Christmas business - and decided that I wanted to buy a book for myself in addition to the Johnny Cash CD I bought my mom. The young woman in the literature department had enjoyed reading Lamb - a rather irreverent book that fills in the reader on what, exactly, Jesus spent the years between the ages of 12 and 30 doing - and so I asked her what other books she could recommend. She pointed me to Christopher Buckley.

I have to confess that I was pretty disappointed in Supreme Courtship. Yes, there were moments of hilarity and the satirical view of American politics was quite incisive, but...

It stereotyped Texans. A lot.

The main character happened to hail from the same city where I was raised, and he made the people of that grand and boring city sound like a bunch of backwoods bumpkins. The only Texans I've ever heard speak the way his Texas characters spoke were characters in books that were written by people who have never been to Texas.

Once you get past the ignorant stereotyping of Texans, however, it was pretty amusing. A light read but with, as stated before, a bit of biting wit (say that 5 times fast).

So if you can get past the fact that it was written by a goddamned ignorant Yankee, it's a pretty good read. I'd check it out from the library, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment