Saturday, May 14, 2011

Two Steps Forward and One Step Back


For the past week, I've been borderline incapacitated by migraines, and that's my excuse for not posting in a long while.

I had three consecutive days of pure migraine hell, and then one of a morning-only migraine that I finally vanquished with copious amounts of caffeine and two doses of migraine medicine. Since caffeine tablets give me heart palpitations (scary!) I stuck with soda and the mucky coffee provided by the office. I've found that three shots of "French Vanilla coffee creamer" help immensely with the bitter taste.

My doctor switched my migraine medicine almost a month ago, hoping to see an improvement from the two migraines I was having per week.

How I long for the two-per-week days!

On a happier note, I can now do something I haven't been physically capable of doing since last June: I can walk in high heels again.

Little victories, people. Little victories.

I haven't rushed out and bought new heels, though, because I have plenty already that are sitting unworn in their matching plastic boxes from Mecca (a.k.a. The Container Store). I'm enjoying walking around in them again, and - specifically - being 6'-0" tall again.

When I worked for my current employer during my first go-round (2007-2008), I wore heels almost everyday, ranging in heel height from 3-1/2" to 5". The first time I wore flats, my boss was confused, because he just thought I was 6'-0" tall.

Like any other victory (other than, say, winning the lottery) I had to work to be able to wear stilettos again. I started out in wedge-heels, then moved up to stilettos. It was difficult, the first couple of days, because my calves and my abdominal muscles weren't used to working that way, but now it's back to what it was once before: effortless.

Little victories.

1 comment: