Friday, February 25, 2011

Oops, I Did It Again... Sort Of

I would like to apologize for the Britney Spears reference. I actually don't remember how the song goes, except for that line, just that she sang it.

Anyhoo.

What did you do again, Ms. Strainedconsciousness? you ask, probably dreading the answer.

I knocked my washing machine's tub out of balance.

If you remember, I flooded my apartment a while back, and the apartment complex gave me a brand new washer/dryer unit because of it. The reason my apartment flooded was because 1) the screw/leg was stripped and so it wouldn't sit straight; 2) I put a couple of pairs of jeans in that shouldn't have been added to that load.

This time, I did not flood my apartment, or anyone else's apartment. Also, I did not overload the washer, per se. I put in a towel and a bathmat.

I think it's the bathmat that killed the deal, because it's heavier than a towel. But still...

I have read my washing machine's user manual, and it states that I should - in theory - be able to wash 9 bath towels at once, or 6 bath towels, 3 hand towels, & 6 washcloths.

NINE BATH TOWELS.

My washer has a 1.5 cu.ft. capacity. How the heck can you fit 9 bath towels in 1.5 cu. ft?

No, seriously: I want to know. If you can, then that's some crazy quantum theory 1.5 cu. ft. and I want it nowhere near my apartment.

On the other hand, now I know why my socks disappear: They're there, but they're somewhere else, too! Or something.

I probably need to brush up on quantum theory.

So now, I have to call my apartment and say, "Hey, you know that brand new washer/dryer combo you bought for $1100 for my apartment? Yeah, it needs a $95 part, and about 1.5 hours of maintenance, so could you get on that, please?"

I kind of wonder if it isn't the floor beneath the washer that's causing the problems. Upper story floors tend to flex, and in this case, the problem might be solved by a simple 3/4" plywood board under the washer/dryer.

Whatever is causing the problem - bathmat or floor - I don't look forward to letting my apartment manager know that, hey, I'm having issues again, and I need this to be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment