Tuesday, March 16, 2010

OCDesign Strikes Again!

I have finally figured out a way to rearrange my apartment. I am ecstatic. I am overjoyed.

And I am going to buy a sofa.

Wait. What?

Yup. You heard me: a sofa.

Show us pictures! We want pictures! What, pray tell, will this sofa look like?

That, my devoted readers, is what we in the design trade call "a damned good question."

I found a sofa I liked, within my current budget, but upon visiting it and ruminating, I decided it was too trendy. It was riding the current young hip craze for Mid-century Modern about too high. Then I found another sofa, also within my current budget, whose shape I liked. Alas, it only comes in incredibly boring colors. Not that I'm opposed to boring, so long as it's off-white or soft grey, but the colors they had were very brown-ish, though, but without actually being brown. They were muddy. They were boring. I will not be buying that boring muddy sofa.

My options at this point are: 1) buy a used sofa with a great shape, some fabric I really like, and have the thing reupholstered; or 2) save up some more money and buy a more expensive sofa in colors that aren't so darned pedestrian.

What color will I go for?

That, my friend, is also a damned good question. I'm thinking either a natural linen or an off-white textured cotton, or something completely different, like a deep peacock greeny-blue. I have a loveseat I'll be keeping, and it's off-white (and needs to be cleaned, come to think of it) so I don't want something that will clash horribly with it. Granted, I can always throw a textile over it, if I buy a sofa that doesn't coordinate, which is increasingly likely.

So for the past week, I've been indulging myself by scoping out Craigslist, looking for a cheap (used) sofa that needs some TLC, and checking furniture websites. I've found a couple of sofas I like that will require a great deal of extra saving over the next few months (READ: fewer pedicures, fewer meals out, and no more new clothes).

Okay, I'll give you a few ideas of what I'm looking at, since you're begging me:


All the sofas pictured above are from Crate and Barrel, but I'm not necessarily going to buy a sofa from Crate and Barrel. It will all depend on what happens over the next 4-6 months. Yes, this is a long-term commitment to saving some dough so I can spend some dough. As a consequence, this is not a decision to be taken lightly. I have had my loveseat for 7 years now, and I will most likely follow in the train of my mother and keep my sofa for 20 years. If it's a good sofa, it will last that long, after all. Sure, I can reupholster it, if I so choose, but that's not likely to happen for at least 10 years. I hope.

Any comments or suggestions? Bear in mind, I'm looking for something that can work well in a modern or a traditional room, which I think the above sofas would pull off nicely. The sofa has to be lounge-able, too. No uncomfortable parlor sofas for this gal, despite the intriguing ones I've seen on Craigslist. And it has to be quality: kiln-dried hardwood frame or nothing!

I'm incredibly demanding. That's what you get when you're an OCDesigner.

1 comment:

  1. Crate and Barrel has floor samples regularly. I think they also can do COM (customer's own material) which will be less than reupholstering. Just FYI, anything tufted (like that third sofa) will be more costly to reupholster. Good luck- I know you'll find a great one!

    ReplyDelete