Thursday, April 25, 2013

Hallelujah!

I saw my doctor, today, about the whole candida infection thingy. I'm doing much better (with one major/minor exception, which we won't go into here, because it's not THAT big of a deal, usually). She was very pleased, as was I.

Huzzah!

Also, I asked her, during the appointment, if I could have 1) a glass of wine with my graduation luncheon; and 2) dessert at my graduation luncheon.

The answer: yes, but give it a trial run first to make sure I don't make myself ridiculously sick.

Wait, you mean I HAVE to have a glass of gluten-free alcohol and a gluten-free dessert between now and my graduation?

Oh, damn. I was really hoping... well, okay, I was hoping that I'd get to eat a gluten-free dessert and drink booze, so...

Huzzah!!!

In other news, I've been reading, since my thesis presentation took place. And, I mean, reading a lot. I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, which was spooky, but not keepyouupatnight spooky (unless you're upatnight because you're addicted to the book. Melatonin took care of that, for me).

Neverwhere is about a guy named Richard Mayhew. And a girl named Door. And people who speak to rats and don't ever keep their lives on their person and hunters and bloodthirsty assassins and angels and general amazingness. Because Neil Gaiman is generally amazing.

I recommend it.

Highly.

(I also just discovered that it was a TV series in the 1990s. Crazy.)



And now, I'm reading Where'd You Go Bernadetter?, which has a chick-lit looking cover, so I never would have bought it, in the book store, if not for the fact that one of the bloggers on BoingBoing.net recommended it.

It's told through multiple viewpoints: emails, first-person narrative, etc. and it essentially involves the disappearance of one Bernadette, mother to Bee and wife to Elgin, who has some emotional issues (like severe agoraphobia), along with a virtual personal assistant in India ($30/week? Sign me up, baby!). So far, it's pretty engrossing. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.

An American Girl doll dressed up as Bernadette, standing next to the book. Awesomeness.


And now, on to plan my gluten-free dessert-fest, because I'm going to space out the consumption of dessert and booze. You know. Just to make sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment